Rare Gas Purifier Model MP-2000
Introduced in the year 2000 and now further improved with a new microcontroller circuit with LCD display and optional pressure sensor (from March 2009). The MP2000 is designed to deliver purified argon, helium or other rare gas at the point of use.
MP-2000 General Description
The MP-2000 is a stand-alone unit for the purification of argon or any of the other rare gases: helium, neon, xenon and krypton. It offers a compact system for delivery of purified gas directly to the point-of-use. The purifier contains two reactive getter tubes and a molecular sieve drier tube housed in a cabinet for immediate use. Just plug into the local AC power supply, connect the gas and purge the lines, turn on the power and you are up and running.
For flow rates up to 8 litres per minute and inlet pressures up to 250 psig (17 bar), the MP-2000 will remove the impurities, i.e. oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen, carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, carbon dioxide and moisture (typically present in the range of 30-50vpm) in commercially available rare gases down to a concentration of less than 1 vpm in total.
When introduced in year 2000 MP-2000 offered several new features and benefits over the previous model. The new LCD display provides information on instrument status, elapsed furnace hours and improved information on any fault condition. There is no loss of furnace heating due to temporary loss of mains power. Relay contacts are provided for remote indication of purifier status and a microcontroller alarm system is provided to warn of heater control failure, thermocouple faults or low gas pressure (with optional pressure sensor).
The MP-2000 has been designed on a modular basis to make the operation, servicing and maintenance by the user very simple. From time to time the user has to replace the getter tubes and the molecular sieve drier tube when they become exhausted. The getter tubes can be removed from the purifier through the top of the enclosure by simply undoing a couple of gas connections. The drier tube is equally easy to remove from the front of the enclosure. The entire tube replacement procedure is very simple and quick. All parts are available as spares on a quick delivery basis either direct from Sircal or from your local agent.
MP-2000 Principle of Operation
The purification system consists of a furnace in which a titanium getter tube at 680°C removes oxygen and nitrogen by chemical reaction and a copper oxide tube at 450°C removes carbon monoxide, hydrogen and hydrocarbons, again by chemical reaction. Finally, external to the furnace, there is a molecular sieve drier tube operating at ambient temperature which removes moisture and carbon dioxide by physical adsorption. The molecular sieve drier tube can be regenerated in-situ by means of the band heater facility provided.
The furnace temperature is controlled at 700°C by means of a pair of thermocouples which in turn control the amount of power fed to the furnace heater element via a zero switching controller and triac. A supervisory alarm circuit in the unit cuts off the power to the heater element if the temperature of the furnace for any reason rises above 800°C
MP-2000 Features & Benefits
- Simplicity and Purity – The MP-2000 will remove the impurities, i.e. oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen, carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, carbon dioxide and moisture (typically present in the range of 30-50vpm) in commercially available rare gases down to a concentration of less than 1 vpm in total.
- Ease of Use – Easy to use self-sealing plug-in gas connections ensure the user cannot leave the purifier open to air contamination when the purifier is disconnected from its feed gas.
- Safe to Use – Dual thermocouple temperature control, with remote status indication and fault alarm system.
- Low Maintenance – Quick-change purifier tubes procedure with its modular design.
- Reliability – Built in safeguards against any fluctuations in ambient temperature or surges in electrical supply, offering long term optimum performance and reliability.
- Flexibility – Optional pressure sensor interfaces with microcontroller to provide display of system pressure and furnace shut down if the gas supply fails
- Purification of Argon for Arc/Spark Optical Emission Spectroscopy
- Purification of argon and helium carrier gases for low level Gas Chromatographic analysis
- Purification of argon or helium for use as inert gas blankets
- Any application where absolute and reliable gas purity levels are required
MP-2000 Technical Specification
|O2 , N2 , H2 , CO, CO2 , H2O and Hydrocarbons
|Furnace warm-up time:
|< 15 minutes
|Furnace temperature control:
|Dual thermocouple with micro controller
|Ambient Operating Temperature:
|Maximum flow rate:
|Maximum Inlet Pressure:
|Plug-in ¼" (6mm available) at rear/or at side with Side Entry Kit
|H 642 mm (25.3") x W 349 mm (13.8") x D218 mm (8.6")
Sircal Instruments (UK) Ltd.
Unit 19, Charlwoods Road, East Grinstead,
West Sussex, RH19 2HL, United Kingdom
Tel.: +44.(0)1342 335 309
Fax: +44.(0)1342 323 608
Company Reg. No. 01592093
VAT Reg. No. GB 318211980
A Judges Scientific PLC Company